Sunday, October 23, 2016

Brown Dog. The Book.

A lot can happen in ten years. Between the ages of 20 and 30, I moved out on my own, enjoyed drinking legally and launched my career. Between the ages of 30 and 40, I loved and lost my 'soulmate with 4 legs'. And, in the past 10 years, I've resumed my career while being instrumental in helping more than 850 families save their pet's life. 

And, I've helped write a book. A memoir of sorts... about my soulmate with 4 legs and our life together. He inspired me to do something I never thought possible. I hope you'll read it. I hope you'll buy it. I hope you'll share it with everyone you know! 

More importantly, I hope it inspires you to get involved - whether to volunteer, to share our posts on social media, to attend events, to serve on the board, or to donate - however you support us, it's appreciated and needed to keep us moving forward. I can't do it by myself. It takes a village.

Here's the book's teaser...
This is the story of Chocolate Chip's journey from the Johnson City Animal Control facility through East Tennessee Labrador Retriever Rescue and into Carol's arms. For nearly 5 years she gave him everything she could, until cancer returned and took him from her far too soon. But, his passing inspired Brown Dog Foundation  and since she let him go on that drizzly Mother's Day in 2006, the Foundation has assisted more than 850 family pets .

In the book, you'll come to know Chocolate Chip, Carol and her family, and the early supporters who brought Brown Dog Foundation to life. You will also meet several of the pets we've saved and the doctors and celebrities who help us keep the organization alive today.  

When Carol adopted Chip, she lamented to the rescue group, "it's a shame there isn't an organization who could have helped his family pay for the care he needed so they could keep him." Never did she expect to experience the same scenario herself. Faced with a diagnosis of cancer and a treatment protocol of bi-weekly Chemotherapy and combined with her recent job loss, now she couldn't afford the very treatment that might save his life. 

Through his journey, Carol came to learn that hundreds of thousands of pet owners across the nation are faced with the decision to end their pet's life and suffering when the cost of life-saving treatment is outside their financial means. For these families that final decision is brutal.  Carol, fresh with the pain of facing this same decision, created Brown Dog Foundation. And, just like that, families have an alternative. 

Brown Dog has inspired many to do good work. He will inspire you to do the same.  

For the past 5 years, we have consistently received 4,000 requests for assistance annually.  Brown Dog consistently helps 100-165 families each year. Books begin shipping in November, 2016.

We'd love to hear your thoughts about the book, as well as the work we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment