Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Options


When Chocolate Chip (the original brown dog) was diagnosed with cancer, I had lost my job just 6 weeks earlier. The next 48 hours were the most agonizing of my life. I knew I would find work again... but, was I ready to "finance" a $2,500 bill without the guaranteed paycheck? After Chip passed away, I spent a great deal of time considering how to ensure I was never in this situation again.

The first thing I learned about was pet insurance. I had no idea that pet insurance was available and totally affordable! VPI, Pets Best, Trupanion... there are several options.

The second thing I looked into was "preventative care". I began researching how diet can affect a pet's health. I found several resources and spoke with my Veterinarian about what I was learning. What I was learning is that what we put into our body directly impacts how healthy or unhealthy we'll be. The same rules apply to animals. Some of my favorite resources include:

The Whole Pet Diet, by Andi Brown
Pet Tao, by Dr. Marc Smith & Dr. Casey Damron
Lynn Higgins at Dizzy's Dog Wash, Nashville TN

Third, I researched the Veterinarians in my area and found a clinic whose pricing was more modest. This savings allowed me to take my pet to the doctor more frequently - we caught chronic illnesses earlier and my doctor was able to benchmark my pet's health. Now, as he ages, we will catch anomalies earlier.

Finally, I learned that there are always options. When my pet is diagnosed and I am presented with a treatment plan I now ask "are there other options?" I have learned that it's my responsibility to let my doctor know if I can't afford the ideal treatment. When he/she knows that finances are an issue, most will offer options, if they exist.

Veterinarians care about their patients. They want your pet to live a long, healthy life. Trust in their expertise. And, educate yourself about the options.

No comments:

Post a Comment