Thursday, July 14, 2011

The "side-effects" of Brown Dog Foundation


Sorry I'm a little late in writing this week - it's been pretty crazy as I tried to get out of Nashville and up to our Illinois/Iowa chapter. As I was leaving, however, we were able to approve our 13th grant in 2011. Bug, a little Boston Terrier from Knoxville, will have mammary tumors removed this week thanks to our program!

Just before sitting down to write the blog, I was fortunate to read an email from a family whose grant had been approved, but they decided not to take advantage of it. It's interesting what wonderful things arise from our existence. Allow me to tell you the story.

Early this year, a young law student applied for assistance with Brown Dog Foundation to help her pay for an Endoscopy for her dog Nahla. Nahla was wasting away and while her doctor felt 95% confident that Nahla had Inflammatory Bowel Disease, only an endoscopy would rule out cancer or other major issues. The cost for the endoscopy was outside their reach.

During our application process, the Veterinarian on our board suggested an exploratory surgery rather than Endoscopy - usually this can be done less expensively and if there is a tumor, it could be removed easily and get the dog back on track. In discussing this option with her own personal doctors, they suggested waiting 30 days or so to see if her new diet made a difference. A wonderful idea!

Thirty days later - we received the kindest email from Nahla and her family letting us know that she's back to 100% without having to undergo surgery or an expensive test! The special diet is working.

While we love to help families get the financial assistance they need from us, it's especially inspiring to see the Veterinarians offer alternatives to expensive diagnostics and treatments that may be unnecessary. The funds that were held for Nahla have been released and we hope to assist another family soon.

Here's the note from Nahla's family:
Thank you so much for offering us the grant. It is July 14th, it expires today and we have elected not to use it. Nahla is doing very well, back to her old self. She is healthy, alert and as lovable as ever! She has offered me so much so support over the years.

In fact as I sit here in the last leg of my bar preparation, Nahla is sitting with me. She's my study buddy. I study long hours and get very anxious but she helps me calm down and empathizes with my "suffering."

She and the cat are back to playing and hanging out together, grooming each other, play-fighting etc. We take Nahla to the dog park almost everyday and she seems to be in tip-top shape.

I will never forget this wonderful opportunity you offered us. I know it will go to good use with another dog's family.

A million thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment